In 1984, the Winthrop University Alumni Association established the Student Alumni Council
(SAC) to stimulate the interest and participation of students in the progress of Winthrop University and to preserve and further the feeling of loyalty and fellowship between the institution, students, community and alumni.
The Student Alumni Council:
- Fosters a desire among students to support the university and stimulates interest and concern for its well-being.
- Explains to all students, especially new students, the purposes, benefits and activities of the Winthrop Alumni Association, and shows students ways in which they can support the University following graduation.
- Identifies specific needs of students as they prepare for graduation, and develops programs, which will assist them in making the transition from students to alumni.
- Develops and implements service-oriented programs, which will enable students to contribute to the efforts of the Alumni Association, the Office of Development, other campus departments, and the community.
- Engages and educates students and the campus community in the history and traditions of the university.
The Winthrop Student Alumni Council is active on-campus, participating in numerous events each academic year. Some of the events that SAC is involved in include: Treasures & Traditions; Convocation picnic; Garnet & Gold Fridays; Traditions Challenge; the annual Homecoming & Alumni Reunion; Ghost Tours; Student Engagement and Philanthropy Day
; alumni receptions; Alumni group reunions; Winthrop Ring ceremony; Grad Finale; and community service projects, among others.
Student Engagement and Philanthropy Day 2013
|SAC partnered with Go Gold for Life to take part in the first-ever Student Engagement and Philanthropy Day, created by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE). The event, which promotes student engagement in higher education advancement worldwide, was a hit at Winthrop – more than 450 students visited the DiGiorgio Campus Center to sign a "thank you" banner dedicated to university supporters. The completed banner was placed inside the West Center.
To find out more about SAC, or to get involved, contact SAC Adviser Blair Ligon '11
, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org